Hypnotherapy for phobias
What is a Phobia?
A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, Phóbos, meaning “fear” or “morbid fear”) is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding and can result in an irrational behaviour.
Phobias are a feeling of fear or anxiety that become associated to a certain situation. Some of the most heard of include:
- Fear of Flying , Aerophobia
- Fear of Spiders , Arachnophobia
- Fear of Heights , Acrophobia
- Fear of Snakes , Ophidiophobia
- Fear of Water , Hydrophobia
- Fear of Public Speaking , Glossophobia
- Fear of Flying , Aerophobia
However, the reality is that a Phobia or irrational fear can arise for anything….walking on cracks on the pavement, plasters, trees or even the moon!!!!
Hypnotherapy for Phobias – What causes a Phobia ?
The most common cause is derived from an event in the past. We are all born with the intuitive sense of ‘Fight or Flight.’ and if something happens to us (Initial Sensitsing Event I.S.E) of which we feel overwhelming emotion such as fear or anxiety, our mind can make a link between the event and the feeling. Subsequently, when we face the event again or a situation that is similar, those feelings can appear again. You may not even recall the initial event, but your subconscious mind has made a connection it feels is valid for a purpose, such as protection.
Phobias can also be derived from a learnt behaviour. For example, a parent screams at the sight of a spider and the child instantly relates the spider as a source of danger. From birth we are constantly learning from our peers and cohabitants and what we learn we believe to be true until we have maturity to assess and reframe.
But even as we realise the cause to be irrational we cannot change the feeling –
IS THIS YOU?
Hypnotherapy for Phobias – Symptoms
- Irrational or excessive fear of a specific situation or object.
- Avoiding the situation or object or enduring it with great distress.
- Anticipatory anxiety, which involves becoming nervous in advance of being in certain situations or coming into contact with the object of your phobia. For example, a person afraid of lifts could become nervous before visiting a new place as there may be no stairs to use.
- Physical symptoms may be a pounding of the heart, nausea, diarrhoea, sweating, shaking or trembling, numbness or tingling, problems with breathing (shortness of breath), feeling dizzy or lightheaded, feeling like you are choking. Children who may have a phobia may express their anxiety by crying, clinging to a parent, avoiding certain situations or throwing a tantrum.
Other phobias you may of heard of could include
– Fear of Fire , Pyrophobia
– Fear of Wasps , Spheksophobia
– Fear of Open Spaces , Agoraphobia
– Fear of Vomit , Emetophobia
– Fear of Enclosed Spaces , Claustrophobia
– AND MANY, MANY MORE
The result of the phobia can lead to a sense of loss of control and can change the persons’ view and perspective of life considerably even so much as to change their lifestyle completely, for, example, not being able to leave the home or having to check things repetively.
How Hypnotherapy helps with phobias
By investigating the reasons and triggers of the emotions leading to the phobia or phobias a new path of behaviour can be derived.
Hypnotherapy has proven to be very successful in changing patterns of behaviour which encourage these feelings of fear and anxiety. By interacting with the subconscious mind, great changes can be made to be found that would not necessarily be optional on a conscious level only.
At AbsoluteU we do not expose the client to the object of their phobia so you can be safe in the understanding that the therapy is planned to encourage the client to do so when they are ready on their own terms.
To enjoy the benefits and help we can provide for phobias with Hypnotherapy and Hypnosis at Absoluteu in Horsham and West Sussex please call on either 07909 992635 or 01403 267276 to discuss your situation with Nicole Wetherell Hypnotherapist.
Hypnotherapy Horsham ~ Hypnotherapist Horsham ~ Hypnotherapy Southwater ~ Hypnotherapy Crawley ~ Hypnotherapy Burgess Hill ~ Hypnotherapy Worthing ~ Hypnotherapy Billingshurst ~ Hypnotherapy Haywards Heath ~ Hypnotherapy West Sussex
Horsham Hypnotherapy ~ Horsham Hypnosis ~ Weight loss Horsham ~ Stop Smoking Horsham ~ Depression Horsham ~ Anxiety and Stress Horsham ~ Hypnobirthing Horsham ~ Antenatal Classes Horsham ~ Childbirth Horsham ~ Confidence Horsham ~ Addictions Horsham ~ Phobias Horsham ~ Hypnosis Horsham ~ Hypnotherapist Horsham ~ Hypnotherapy Horsham